Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Ok so Thanksgiving is another great holiday, for me that’s my 2nd best holiday because as I mentioned before Halloween is my 1st favorite holiday ;) 
Because its such a great holiday & its all about food & eating a lot its no secret that I will be eating a lot of food that is not TLS approved. Yes I will eat, I will try not to over do it but I am going to eat. But I will make it up with biking on Thursday morning after I throw the turkey in the oven. On Friday I will bike it to Tropical park & do the bleachers & track. Saturday will be another biking day just so I can burn off the excess fat and calories. By Monday it’s the regular boot camp routine and go back to eating normal. 
So with that said I decided to bake some evil little pecan pie tarts and take them with me to boot camp tomorrow ;-).  Why not share the excess fat & calories right? That's what Thanksgiving is all about Giving ;)
I do want to inform everyone that I always add something healthy to my recipes. This recipe has whole grain oats yes oatmeal, not only is whole oats great for the heart they make these pecan tarts taste even better! OMG they are so evil! I also add flax seed....hello you need those omegas & fiber :) 
For those who want to bake some at home here is my version of the recipe. 
I normally do bake pecan pies but since I'm taking these to boot camp I thought these little tarts would be cute instead of bringing 1 pie. So this is my 1st time baking these and they came out amazing. All the extra exercise will be so worth eating.

Makes 18 mini pecan tart pies

2 cups of light corn syrup
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1 tbs of molasses
3 tbs of real butter
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla extract 
1/4 cup of milled flax seed
1 cup of 100 % whole grain oats (old fashioned) 
2 cups of whole pecans 
18 whole pecans to put on top of each tart

in a large bowl add corn syrup, sugar, molasses, vanilla, eggs,  butter and mix on low with a hand mixer for about 1 minute. be sure butter is at room temperature or it will be hard to blend with the hand mixer.


put the 2 cups of whole pecans & cup of whole oats in a food processor and blend. My processor breaks up the pecans and the whole oats perfect. Don't pulverize it, leaving the pecans in medium to small pieces is perfect. Then mix the pecan oat mix with the corn syrup mix. Stir with a large spoon  do not use the hand mixer

Arrange the pie tarts on a baking dish or 2 then scoop the mix into the pie tarts.  Put 1 full pecan on top of each tart and bake on 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. Stick a toothpick in the middle to check if they are done.

I loved them I think you will too,
I cant wait to make the pies ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment